Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Keeping perspective....

Today a couple of songs have been running through my mind - over and over
and over. So I thought I'd share them with you, since I haven't really felt
like blogging. The first is
I Left Everything to Follow You by Michael Card. It is
from his 2003 album entitled
A Fragile Stone. The whole album is excellent,
with songs like
I'm not supposed to be here, Mourning the Death of a Dream,
and
Not that Kind of King. The album explores the character of the apostle
Simon Peter, his faith and failings.

I Left Everything to Follow You

Though sometimes I grow weary when the road's getting long
At each point of my weakness You make me strong
And when doubt takes over I remember it's true
I left everything to follow you
To stay safe or to follow you.. ask me to choose
But how could I fail when I've got nothing left to lose?
Without your call I couldn't make it
It'd be impossible to do
To leave everything and follow you.

But what is my petty offering
to Your sacrifice?
I gave up my home
But you gave up Paradise
What You called me to offer
Has really set me free
Cause you left everything to be with me
So with joy I embrace a faith that calls me from home
And I will cling to Your Promise that I am never alone
And with each passing moment I'll keep hoping it's true
I left everything to follow you.

The second is a song by Brother's Keeper. The chorus kept drumming in
my head today. I needed it to.

Rain on

Saw an old man with a cane, his hair was silver-grey
Used to have good friends, now he misses them
Winter comes to every life, ‘cause springtimes have to fade
Seasons have to change, it is nature’s way
No one promises us a lifetime without pain
Heard the old man say, "It’s just a rainy day"
He knows this too will pass and joy will come again
Let the whole world know, let the cold wind blow

CHORUS:
Rain on, I will not drown
I’m standing firm on higher ground
Rain on, I will not drown
I’m standing firm on higher ground


Saw a man with a dream of wealth and everything it brings
He heard the Shepherd call, so he left it all
Sometimes a careless work can leave a hollow ring
But he follows on, soon the doubt is gone

CHORUS

No one has promised a lifetime without pain
Heard the old man say, "It’s just a rainy day"
He knows this too will pass and joy will come again
Let the whole world know, let the cold wind blow

CHORUS

2 comments:

Christine Boles said...

Your writing is so teeeeeeny!

Good lyrics~ what would we do without good song lyrics to be our life soundtracks?

gerbmom said...

Huh - it's not teeny on my end. Wonder what's up - I'll check it out! :)