Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Vertigo

Life is on the fast track right now....doctor's visits - both for being sick as well as shots for Haiti, Jen graduating, planting/gardening/yard work, celebratory dinners, church, dealing with a crazy dog that now apparently has hypothyroidism, end of the year stuff at school, way too much laundry, getting ready for my college freshman to come home, and a church retreat this weekend = no time to think, much less post. I don't know if I'm coming or going.

I really need to find a way to simplify my life. What I wanna do is sit in a hammock in my back yard next to the fountain with a good book, a snuggly puppy, and a sweet tea. Oh, and good music. Instead I'm doing all of the above, plus cleaning, meetings, shopping - I feel myself just getting wound tighter and tighter and tighter.

Like the little clown on the string held between two hands that you kept winding until you couldn't wind any longer and then you let it go and it spins and spins, faster and faster, and the only thing that saves it from flying off into space is the string that connects it to the hands.
It finally stops and swings gently; a smile on its plastic face.

My life is about as wound as it can be. It's time for the spinning, the change, the stirring it all up. I'm not ready. I never am. I'm dizzy and disoriented already and the spinning has just begun. But at least I know that God's hands will keep me from flying off into space. And one can only hope that when the spinning stops I will end up swinging gently in that hammock a grateful smile on my face.

No comments: