Thursday, May 08, 2008

How does your garden grow?


I was actually feeling well enough last night to go to the nursery and buy my plants. It made me smile to step out of my car and instantly be surrounded by pansies of every variety and color. I LOVE pansies. I buy them every year because they make me smile. And I kill them by the end of June. It's just too hot - even in the shade, and I occasionally forget to water them. So I just stood and admired the beauty and then I walked on by. Not an easy thing cuz they went on forever, in pots, baskets, hanging baskets.....

So what is my garden gonna grow? Well, theoretically: tomatoes, green, red and yellow bell peppers, bush beans (Blue Lake Bush Bean #274 ) -the only seeds I bought), melons, cucumbers, zucchini (just one plant...), basil, oregano, chives, and cilantro. I say theoretically because I don't even have the garden ready for planting yet, much less convinced my husband to move the whole thing to a new location. Of course, the big challenge will be keeping the dog from eating the plants/vegis......

And I bought marigolds (cuz I can't kill 'em), wave petunias - they spread and are really pretty - for the side yard; geraniums and dusty miller for the big kettle in the front yard; impatiens for the back yard under the trees; sun coleus for the patio pots; a hanging basket for the front porch and a few flowers I can't remember.

I came home tired, but happy. Now I have to find a) the time and b) the energy to plant them. And do the edging, turning, weeding, mulching....

Um, remind me again - just why did I buy all these plants???

No comments: