Monday, February 11, 2008

Lent


I thought long and hard about what to give up (or what to make a part of my life) for lent this year. Nothing seemed right. It all seemed like it could be grouped under ulterior motives. So, reluctantly I decided since I wasn't doing it for the right reason I would not participate. Until yesterday. The perfect thing occurred to me. So what if it's 5 days late. This is something that is meaningful, and sacrificial and just not an easy thing to give up. Sometimes I think we take the easy way out - e.g. chocolate or sweets when we really want to lose weight anyway, or giving up TV when there's nothing on because of the writer's strike, or doing something that we should be doing anyhow in hopes that after forty days it will be a habit in our lives. That is not the intent of lent. This year it took a lot of soul searching to find the thing that will remind me daily, hourly, maybe more often, of Christ's sacrifice. I don't know if I will succeed but at least the constant reminder of what He did will be before my mind and heart in a very visible way.

No comments: