Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Uh-huh... :)

When I was growing up, I don't ever remember hearing someone preach on their struggles or their questions. I never heard uncertainty from the pulpit. And so, I felt that I needed to hide mine. I felt like my struggles and questions were wrong and that I was the only one with them. But now that I'm on the other side of the coin, I know that's not true. Every one in the building was struggling with issues just as I was, even the people on the stage. But because I felt that it was wrong, I never shared them with anyone. And therefore, no one ever helped me or walked down those roads with me. I think sharing our questions is necessary not just to receive answers but also to create honest community. Now, I find it easier to follow a broken man or woman than a perfect one. Because I feel like I'm following an honest man honestly dealing with his weaknesses, faults, and questions, rather than someone who must have them but is not showing them. And this is the kind of leader I hope to be as well.



-Todd

No comments: