Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Better Questions




Todd Agnew's new album, Better Questions, is being released in a week, and I for one, can't wait. I have heard him in concert, and he is the most humble and honest guy....a messy, vulnerable Christian, willing to share his struggle with others.

So far the fame hasn't caught up with him, maybe he won't go the way of other "Christian" recording artists who get caught up in their own press. The ministry and message he has is awesome. Take a look at what he has to say about the album. If you haven't had a chance to hear his stuff - take a risk - buy it. You won't be sorry!

Well, the release of the new record, Better Questions, better known in our circles as BQ, is only a week away. We are excited to finally share it with everyone. We have been working on it since January, and all the hard work has paid off. Well, I guess you will actually be the judge of that. So, anyway, it's called Better Questions. And that doesn't mean that I have better questions than anyone else. It doesn't mean we should ask better questions. As you will discover in the first line of the record, it simply means that I have better questions than I have answers.

Somewhere along the line, someone decided that Christian musicians belonged in the same all-knowing leadership position as pastors and the like. However, having been both a musician and a church staff member, I can tell you that neither group has it all together. We are all just human, struggling to find out what it means to love and obey our God. None of us has all the answers. I just wrote a song you liked. Or maybe not. But either way, I'm just a fellow traveler in this life who is willing to share what I've learned, but I'm no more of an authority than you on things spiritual.

So rather than record another album of attempts at answering spiritual issues, I decided to treat you as my family and share an album of my questions. Well, actually, the Lord planned the album. These are just the songs I have right now. To be honest, when I started writing them, I assumed the first few would just stay in my closet, the way "My Jesus" did for 8 years. But as I continued to struggle with these things and continued to write songs, I realized that God was going to display my closet for all to see. So we deal with some real issues in this record; death, divorce, peace, church, sin, and a lot more.

But don't go buy the record to find the answers to your hard questions, because they're not there. I'm not informing you of my opinion. I'm just sharing my own struggles. And I believe that we can take this journey together. A journey of Better Questions.

-Todd

No comments: