Sunday, September 25, 2005

Grand Canyon Risks

Yesterday at breakfast with my pastor's wife we were discussing their recent trip to the Grand Canyon. She told me she would really like to go down into the canyon sometime, but on their last trip they had only hiked down about a mile or so. As they walked they observed the mules and their passengers. The mules walked on the very edge of the path, right along the sheer drop off to the canyon. If you examined the mule's footprints they were on the very, very edge of the precipice. That to her was so very frightening that she will never ride the mules, but would rather hike the steep, rocky, trail because she has more faith in her ability to stay on her own feet than that the mules won't fall over the edge. Ok, so being me I immediately saw an application. Funny how my mind works these days... So often we want to go far in our spiritual walk. We want to accomplish something for God. We have a goal, and a desire, but we want to do it our own way. Sometimes God's way means walking on the edge - so close to the edge in fact that we might be hanging out over the abyss. Not safe, or comfortable. So we choose to walk our way instead of trusting the means God has provided to best accomplish His plan. In all probability we'll never get to the end, or if we do it will be so late that the opportunity has passed. By our need to cling to a perceived safeness we limit God. We need to be willing to live life on the edge!
Anyway, I said to my pastor's wife, "There's a great lesson in that story." When she looked a little puzzled I rephrased what I said, further clarifying. She looked at me like I was crazy........

3 comments:

Tammy said...

i get it. the facts are that those mules are much more sure footed than people. the application may have hit too close to home. :D

Anne said...

The first thing I thought of was how my dad, when he was young, gave horseback tours of the Grand Canyon. My dad loved, and obviously trusted, animals. God he didn't seem to have much need for.

Your analogy made me want to open up my arms a little wider to God though, and carve more time to hear that small, still voice. I'm still wondering why the pastor's wife looked at you like you were crazy though, instead of having an "ah ha" moment...

gerbmom said...

Tammy - possibly so, good point.
Anne - I wondered also. But maybe a year ago I wouldn't have been so quick to have an "ah ha" moment either.....