Monday, October 15, 2007

We took the road(s) less traveled......

Well, I realize I haven't written about our trip. Sorry. I haven't really felt like writing lately - as you have probably noticed. Anyway. I thought I would put up a few pictures with captions. Isn't a picture worth a thousand words anyway????














In order to avoid traffic we headed out going south on Rt 47 - all the way to Champaign/Urbana. Along the way we saw some pretty scenery - who knew?? I love this picture. Invokes memories of the past - especially in the south.....



Traveling on to Indy, we stopped for a very late dinner at the Mug n Bun. Apparently it's been around forever. Yummy Pork Tenderloin, hand cut/hand battered onion rings (best I've ever had...) and homemade root beer.

We found this sign across from Lynn's Paradise Cafe where we had the yummiest cheese grits - I wish I had had two bowls!

Ohio River

back roads......

I just liked this bridge.....

Dana at the Colonel Sanders museum in Corbin, KY.

farms along the way

Crab Orchard, KY - we ate at the best little cafe here. But I liked this picture better than the picture of the cafe..... :)

No bull....

Penn's General Store in Gravel Switch, KY

Penn's Privy. Apparently it was a big deal a couple years ago when it was "installed!"

Tobacco drying in Gravel Switch, KY. We saw this all over central KY, an area devastated by the collapse of tobacco subsidies and strict anti smoking policies.





Makers Mark Distillery in Loretto, KY






Abbey of Gethsemani, where Thomas Merton lived while in the United States. The abbey is a Trappist/Cistercians monastery.

This was the cool sign at one of three remaining Wigwam Villages in the US. We stayed here (Cave City, KY) in Wigwam # 7.

The View outside Wigwam # 7



Three pictures of a really cool, abandoned - but fortunately still standing - "Modern Motor Court" I love this side of history. I can only imagine what it must have been like - and who might have stayed there..... It was interesting that each cottage had a car port!

I don't get it either.......

Martini anyone??

A "Big John" (as opposed to a Muffler Man") in Carmi, IL. I hear there are still a few of these around this area of Illinois.

Dana - standing in for James.....

Sun's going down, trips winding down. I'm tired. Heading home.
If you want to READ about the trip and see a few other photos - check out Dana's blog!

No comments: