Thursday, February 08, 2007

So little time......

So, I'm in one of those spots where I feel like I have nothing in my head but fluff. Nothing of any import to say. No resources to help my friends. Huh. I guess I have just gotten so busy that I don't have time to reflect and think. That's not a good thing. I feel like I totally lose touch with every important area of my life when this occurs. It just reinforces for me the fact that we all need to rest. To take time to sit. To listen. To read. To think. In our busy world that is so, so hard to do. I am busy to the point of exhaustion every night and I don't have the desire to do anything but veg in front of the TV or sleep. Sad, but true.

So, how do I decide what to cut out? Work things? Family things? Church things? Down time with friends things? Something has to give - but how do you prioritize? It's frustrating, especially when you have a family, and a home, and responsibilities. And how do you cut out the things that are helping others? Things that they can't do on their own? There is so much need out there. And, how do you justify going to yet another meeting or gathering where you are doing nothing but "feeding" yourself? Learning new things just because you want to?

Boundaries, how do you learn to set them - and should you? I struggle with this. If someone needs me, or needs help, how can I possibly set a boundary there and say no?

Even if what they need emotionally drains me, how can I set a boundary and say no? Isn't that what it's about? Helping others, entering into life and problems with them instead of sitting in my room and looking out for my needs? I don't get boundaries. My friends tell me I should. But I don't. How dare I say no if I have something to give? I suppose people could take advantage of that, but who am I to judge? That's a whole other kind of neediness.

Wow, how did I get there anyway? Rambling thoughts. That's how it's been lately. I have five minutes to sit and my mind hops, skips and jumps down one rabbit trail after another with no resolution anywhere. Hence the post.

Grrrrr.

1 comment:

Christine Boles said...

I don't usually have a problem with scheduling; my challenge is the unseen pressure that comes with being a Single, working mom.

But I've often wondered how women decide what to put off, put down, get rid of, when they find themselves becoming too busy.

Some, you can figure out that they're doing it to themselves, while others, you just can't see how they'll be able to smooth things out and get 'em down to a dull roar.

I think your post is relevant. I'm sure many, many women are stuck in the same position~ priority overload.