Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"My my, how can I resist you?"

We had a snowstorm last night. Once I was home I refused to go out again. I swear people just don't know how to drive in snow and ice. I don't get it!!!

So, snuggled up on the couch with my blankie I watched Mama Mia with my daughter. What fun! When you watch this movie you can't help but smile. No, it's not the best movie. But it's fun! The music is contagious - you find yourself singing (dancing?) along even if you aren't usually so inclined! Of course, my daughter laughed at me. So?

At the same time the movie was kind of poignant and made me sad - just the premise of a daughter growing up, becoming her own person, getting married and having her own life; one that you are no longer part of. It happens. And I'm sure a lot of great stuff comes along with that too. It's just difficult to nurture a child for so long and then they don't need you anymore....

And it also made me sad for the friendships that no longer exist; those girlfriends that are no longer part of your life for whatever reason. I can relate to the mom and her friends acting like crazy schoolgirls - they still see themselves as young and vibrant and silly. Only to others are they old and grownup and dull. I miss the girls I could be forever young with. The ones I could totally act 15 with and we'd all be laughing and understanding each other. Taking turns out stupid-ing each other.

So, it was a weird mix of emotions, but on the whole lighthearted and feel good. It had me laughing and tearing up, and singing at the top of my lungs.

I think I scared the dog.

2 comments:

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

"I think I scared the dog."

I did an actual spittake of applesauce on that one!

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

I've not been sure I wanted to see the movie but now I think that may be one of the things my girls and I do over Christmas break! Your description is wonderfully descriptive...yeah!!!

I hope you are feelig better! All of our ice is gone, now we just have that wet, icky, muddy mess!!!

Merry Christmas!

Pamela