Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Muffu-whatta?


Today I ran across a reference to Muffuletta in a blog I was reading. That was it. I was lost in a twenty minute day dream and an internet visit to Napoleon House in New Orleans. One of my all time favorite places to eat. I can't even begin to describe why. It is historical, quaint, very New Orleans, the food is good, and it is calming and enchanting to eat in the sheltered courtyard.

Unfortunately, at the present time, the bistro remains closed as a result of Hurricane Katrina, although the cafe is open.

Muffuletta. Yum. Ask for one in New Orleans and you will be directed to Napoleon House -Tho I think Central Grocery might argue that point....OK - you'll be directed there too. Both are definitive in their own way. But back to Napoleon House. This is their specialty. That and the Pimm's Cup. But, again, I digress. Where was I? Oh, yes, muffuletta : Ham, Genoa Salami, Pastrami, Swiss cheese, and Provolone cheese, topped with, of course, Italian Olive Salad. What more could a girl ask for? The bread is fresh, crispy and round. I could wax poetic here, but suffice it to say I've NEVER had a better muffuletta - and not for the lack of trying. They have ruined every other muffuletta on the face of the planet for me. I can't even re-create it satisfactorily at home. :(

I'm sure their other fare is equally excellent - Red Beans and Rice, or Gumbo anyone? -
but I've never tried it. Muffuletta. Tried and true.

Anybody want to take a trip to New Orleans?

OK - back to reality.........







4 comments:

GoteeMan said...

Kim & I used to go to NAWLINS often - Breakfast at Brennan's, Bignets at Cafe` Dumonde, Shrimp Po-Boy at Acme Seafood House, and yes, Muffuletta's!
One of our favorite places to travel.

Hope you are doing well...
J

Christine Boles said...

What a fascinating description you've given~

Julie said...

So do you know of anywhere in the Chicago burbs to get a Muffuletta? In Texas I was used to most sandwich shops selling them, but up here... nothing.

gerbmom said...

I've tried them a couple places (which shall remain nameless) and they were not "right." Louie's in Chicago is supposed to have them. And I thought for sure Heaven on Seven would. So I was really excited to see they have Naperville and Downer's Grove restaurants now. But no luck. They must have taken it off the menu......
So, no.
Lemme know if you find one. :)