Friday, October 16, 2009

If you don't have anything good to say....

...say nothing at all.

Well, I tried that - and you can see the results. No blog posts.

You know how we all have one of those days? Well, I've pretty much had one of those summers. And it has extended into autumn. Sadly.

It's not all been bad - there have been incredibly bright spots, like our trip to Boston in June, our trip to Austin and Taos in July, Andrew and Carissa's visit in August, our Via Christus get together when Mike and Julie were up from Austin, and Aaron's visit and the U2 concert at Soldier Field.

Other than that - dreary weather. Cool summer. Garden did miserably. It rained - a lot. The outside hose reel connector/hose broke flooding an already saturated yard and basement. Extra people living in our house (including a one year old and a three year old from Friday through Sunday). One adult is a very extroverted extrovert that needs to talk incessantly. Carissa left for Italy for a semester.

Complete chaos has entered my life! No room. No solitude. No where to go to get away. No where to think. Noise. All the time. My safe haven became, and still is to a degree, a stressful place.

I have felt sad, angry, frustrated, stressed, taken advantage of, not heard, and used. I feel like I am living in a soap opera. Really. One where resolution NEVER comes. We have resolved some issues - but a few remain that are awkward and sensitive. sigh.

On top of that mess, as if that weren't enough (and I have just posted bare bones) school started, I got sick in September - acute bronchitis with a severe asthma attack resulting in an entire week of work missed - and I've had issues with a tooth. And our loan for Carissa's junior year got messed up and still isn't paid. Oh - and Comcast messed with us for almost 2 weeks - resulting in HOURS spent on the phone and with techs. Four of them on four different days.

And on top of all that, the sun still refuses to shine!

See - nothing good to say.

Great post after months of silence, huh?

Hopefully things will improve.... We are going to visit Carissa in Italy in November. We are going to Florida for Christmas. The loan got straightened out. As did the cable issue. I am about 80% well. The tooth - well, still being worked on. Still working on the safe haven. And finding quiet and solitude. But it too will come. Along with the sun.

I hope.

2 comments:

abmo said...

Hi Karen,

I think you should come and stay with us for a while. I think we have about 360 days of sunshine a year here in South Africa :) And summer's here now. You sound like you need some sun.

Taking people into your home can be very stressful. We started doing it in 2000. I think one of the things that you have to remember is to be honest. If the person talkes a lot, tell them you need silence for an hour. If they are offended, they can leave :)

I always tell people my friends that we need God always, but we desperately need Him inside the noise. It's possible to find Him inside the storm. I love the quote on your page that says..." The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Sometimes the voyages comes to us. May our eyes be opened.

p.s. I wasn't kidding when I said you could come and stay with us :)

gerbmom said...

thanks for the offer! It always helps to know you have options, even if they probably will never come to fruition!
And thanks for your comment too! :)